Wednesday, November 23, 2011

Moooooove Over!

We only had a half day of school today, the first time in the 4 years we've been doing cyber school that we ever had a half day scheduled! I was extremely glad to knock off early and defrost my deep freeze downstairs.

I have been working over the past 2 weeks to clean out this deep freeze a bit. The upstairs one is chock full of fruit and veggies: black raspberries, strawberries, peaches, applesauce, freezer jam, corn, beans and pumpkin. I had several 7 pound chickens that ended up too dry when I roasted them, so over the past several days, I cooked 2 of them in the crock pot, picked out the bones, and currently 8 pints worth of chicken meat and broth are pressure canning on the stove.

This morning, I removed the remaining items to ice chests, and defrosted and wiped down the freezer. All this was in preparation of the arrival today of a quarter of a steer, raised by a friend of mine in Greene County. Now my downstairs freezer is jam-packed with beef! I took inventory of my shelves of canned goods and the full freezers, and felt my chest swell with pride and satisfaction. I am thankful today for this ample supply of food that my family will enjoy for the next year.

In addition, I can't express how thankful I am for a break from Cyber School for the next 5 days! It is much needed and was much anticipated.

Now it is time to bake some pies. Have a wonderful holiday with your loved ones this week!

No comments: