
Apparently they are moulting, and apparently that is a sign of good layers. (I've been googling "bald chickens".) I can't really complain about their laying...all Spring and Summer we have averaged 7 egg/day from the 9 Sisters. What I read mentions "egg laying cycles" and when the hens reach the end of these cycles, all their feathers fall out, and they grow new ones.
J is quite concerned that they chose a cool-ish time of the year to go nekked. It is a bit disconcerting to see their pale, pimpled chicken skin out and about when I'm in my fleece in the mornings! This, like the reduction in their egg laying, is evidently linked to the decreasing daylight. They don't feed for as many hours daily, consequently have poorer nutrition, and loose their feathers. It all seems very sad, but moulting is apparently a natural phenomenon with birds.
I must say, the decreasing daylight is making me want to pull my own feathers out! The sky was getting dim-ish by the time I left work at 10 to 5 last evening, and pitch black by the time we arrived at the High School pool for some swimming time at 6:15. I'm hoping that I adjust to Daylight Savings Time before I'm tempted to start parading around with my pink, pimply bum hanging out!
1 comment:
Now that is a really lovely image. I hope I never really see that happen to you. An intervention may follow.
Post a Comment