The "C" key sticks on my computer keyboard lately, unless I pound it relentlessly. I don't even notice how many "C"s are in what I write until I look back and see that I've written about the hikens and the girls' lothes. I'm just going to type away this morning, since I have 20 entire minutes to myself before I must leave for work. Hopefully the spell checker will catch all the misspellings!
I've finally been out in my garden! That doesn't mean that I haven't had to take breaks for the weather, or for illnesses. It's rained almost every day this week, but they are calling for a nice day tomorrow. Everyone has been sick, except for me. I expect to succumb any minute now! Taking a sick day on Wednesday was a nice break! We went easy on school work for the less sick girl, and they both watched movies. I got a couple of indoor things crossed off my "To Do" list since it was raining outside.
I spent a little time weeding the never ending daisies from my perennial bed earlier in the week. The air smelled clean after another rainstorm, and the multiflora roses were almost overpoweringly strong. The dogs ran in circles around where I was working, until they wore themselves out and lay panting under the trailer. The bees hummed in figure 8's, kissing each clover in our long grass. The hens crooned their mournful tune down in the coop. It was just about perfect!
Of course, spending time outside can turn ugly too. There are stingers and biters out there. Jenna ran in from picking cherries off the weeping cherry trees and feeding them to the hens last weekend. Somehow a bee got down her boot and stung her leg. The stinger was stuck in her skin, still quivering a bit. She has a large red area there still, but it is a minor comfort knowing that particular bee can never sting her again!
We found a little back and yellow snake (he must be a Steelers fan too!) in the sticker bushes by the walking path. I'm not particularly afraid of snakes, but after finding one, I'm hesitant to stick my hands places that are not well visualized.
Dad and I were watching the peeps the other day. They were climbing up on top of their feeder and the rim of their waterer, and balancing there. "I wonder if they want to start roosting?" Dad mused. I balanced a couple of sticks between the bars of Kali's kennel, where they reside. What do you know? They are perching on them!
Tonight, JP is grilling a special meal for Mother's Day: Thai Barbecued Chicken, and Asian inspired veggie packets in foil. I also baked a cake, and Mom and Dad are coming over soon to eat with us.
I hope you all enjoyed this beautiful day!


No comments:
Post a Comment