Monday, May 14, 2012

Lazy Daisy

The cake I baked this weekend is an old recipe from JP's aunt.  The topping bakes up caramelized and chewy...reminiscent of a Girl Scout Samoa cookie.  The cake is moist and light.  I would recommend doubling the topping, as it was spread VERY thinly on the top of the cake.

LAZY DAISY OATMEAL CAKE

1 1/4 c boiling water
1 c oatmeal
1/2 c shortening
1 c sugar
1 c brown sugar
2 eggs
1 t vanilla
2 c flour
1 t soda
1/2 t salt
1 t cinnamon

Pour boiling water over oatmeal in a small bowl and let it set for 20 min, stirring occasionally.

Cream shortening, then add sugars and beat until fluffy.  Add eggs and vanilla.  Add oatmeal and mix well.

Mix together dry ingredients.  Add to oatmeal mixture and mix well.

Pour batter into greased and floured 13 x 9 inch baking pan.  Bake at 350* for 40 min. (Mine was done at 35, so check it.)

Topping:  1/4  c evaporated milk
                6 T butter, very soft
                1/2 c brown sugar
                1 t vanilla
                1 c coconut

Mix all ingredients well, then spread over cake.  Brown under broiler.

Our skittish black cat, Bert, has disappeared.  He has been on the veranda, crying for attention every morning, and out front at midnight when I take the dogs out for the final time every night for 2 years.  His buddy, Ernie, wanders off for a day or three at a time, but always comes back.  I don't feel that optimistic about Bert.  Ernie is notably distressed.


My friend has been writing Haiku's.  Unlike her, I have a fun time with Haiku.  Whether they are any good or not is debatable.  JP asked last night, "What if one word is 5 syllables long?"  So... we came up with a 5 syllable word Haiku.

Unexpectedly,
I fell down the stairs again.
Ouch! Ouch! Ouch! Ouch! Ouch!

This Haiku is for Bert:

Timid, black and sleek,
Yin to the outgoing Yang
Slipped away in night.

I need to go get my Monday started...

2 comments:

Kimberly Long Cockroft said...

How fun! Love your haiku. And you seem to be mastering the 5/7/5 rule. . .very nice.

Burt, black shadow
paws back after long night
welcomed by Ernie

Well, I hope so, anyway. I do hope he comes back.

Kimberly Long Cockroft said...

yes, the second line is only six syllables :)