I finally got a couple of hours this week to work on my perennial bed, which is in sore need of attention. I discovered that the cheerful white daisies that I transplanted from our field, managed to seed themselves in almost every place that nothing else was growing!
See? Almost all the short, green plants are the daisy starts!
My goal for this bed, was for it to grow so thick with perennials that I eventually would not have to mulch it. I didn't mean for it to happen this way. At first, I thought that I would leave the 2 big bunches of daisies that I initially transplanted, and just be sure that I removed all the flowers before they went to seed (what are the actual chances that would happen?) After meticulously removing HUNDREDS of these weeds, however, I got the shovel and dug out the big bunches.
I removed enough yesterday to plant some starts from my friends' gardens. JP suggested that I cover the rest with newspaper, then the wood mulch. That sounds reasonable to me!
Meanwhile, the girls were begging to get the wading pool out. I mollified them with the option to run through the sprinkler. They looked infinitely more cool than I felt!
Lesson learned!


1 comment:
I learned my lesson the hard way with some rogue snapdragons a few years ago. Didn't know they would self seed and I pull them out by the hundreds...wierd feeling to be yanking things out of the ground like weeds that you paid good money for at one time. UGH!
Post a Comment