HUSH.....
THE ZUCCHINIS ARE SLEEPING.
SMOOTH AND SILENT,
IN THE NIGHT.
THESE ARE BIG ONES,
RARING TO GROW.
TOP BANANAS,
LYING LOW,
HUSH.....
THE ZUCCHINIS ARE SLEEPING.
-Gordon Anderson
I think of this poem, featured in my college Into to Poetry class, every summer when there is a profusion of zucchinis. Unfortunately, at this point in this dry, dry summer, the zucchinis aren't looking too good.
While they were going crazy, I shared plenty of them with friends and family. We also ate LOTS of zucchini stuff. I will post links to our favorites.
The really big zucchinis were perfect for stuffing. First I tried this recipe for an Italian style stuffed zucchini. The girls and I shared it, however, and I made it with Italian sausage flavored soy crumbles from Morning Star. It wasn't cooked in the time on the recipe, so if I did it again, I would microwave the zucchini for a while first, and then stuff and bake it. It was very good.
The next stuffed zucchini recipe I liked even more. This one was a take on Chicken Parmesan. Again I made this vegetarian by using Morning Star's Veggie Chick'n Nuggets in place of chicken patties. I tried the trick of cooking the zucchini in the microwave for 10 minutes before stuffing and baking it, and it worked well, and cut down the time the hot oven was on in the heat of the summer.
Who doesn't love some zucchini desserts? L and I have made many loaves of zucchini bread based on a recipe in my "From Amish and Mennonite Kitchens."
Homemade Zucchini Bread
3 eggs
1 1/3 c sugar
2 c shredded zucchini
2/3 c oil
2 t vanilla
3 c flour (I use half whole wheat)
1 t salt
1 t soda
1 t baking powder
2 t cinnamon
1/2 t nutmeg
1/4 t cloves
Beat eggs until foamy, then stir in sugar, zucchini, oil and vanilla. Gradually add dry ingredients and spices. Pour batter into 2 small loaf pans sprayed with baking spray. Bake at 325* for 60-80 minutes.
We also found a delicious, moist cake with topping on it reminiscent of Samoas Girl Scout Cookies. I halved the cake and baked it in an 8"x 8" pan. Don't halve the topping, though, or there won't be enough! I also found that using Evaporated Milk instead of whole milk in the topping made for a more carmel-y base.
One of our new favorite are these Lemon Poppyseed Zucchini Muffins. They are even better the day AFTER they are baked, and make a perfect summer breakfast with a cup of joe.
What do you do with your zucchini in the summer?

No comments:
Post a Comment