Monday, June 4, 2012

Still in School

I thought about spending the day feeling sorry for myself that we still have school for 2 more weeks, EVEN THOUGH we had our end of the year picnic at our favorite park last Friday in the rain, and EVEN THOUGH the public schools are finished as of 10 AM Friday.  But I didn't.  Sometimes a pity party feels OK...today I had a long list of things I wanted to accomplish.  I did pretty well!

The girls spent part of the morning at the local University at a "Reading Camp".  When I picked them up at noon, J told me it was more about Pirates than reading, but she had fun any way.  It's free, I'm marking them down for Language Arts hours, and I get an hour to myself every morning for the next 2 weeks.  Seems like a win-win situation to me!

We are trying to moderate our work weekends this summer.  If we put in a full day on Saturday, we take a break (for several hours at least) to do something relaxing as a family on Sunday.  I spent a couple of hours Saturday morning weeding and mulching flower beds at my friend's mother's place.  I also managed, with my Mom's help, to get the shallots and onions weeded and mulched in the garden.  Sunday evening, we took time to watch "We Bought a Zoo"...very fun movie.

This afternoon, we finished planting corn, and squeezed in a few marigolds and melons too.  I am all done planting now, except for the Borage, that I will plant with the tomatoes (once I get the cages in!)  There are 4 beds of corn to mulch, and the lettuces/radishes/spinach need to be weeded, thinned, and a second planting of radishes put in, and the potatoes to weed and mulch.  It's getting there!

The girls recently decided that they were tiring of the Rubber Ducky theme in their bathroom, and have decided on a more grown up theme of Dolphins/Under the Sea.  I have now removed all of the duckies from the bathroom, except for the nightlight, and moved about half of the fishes down from the upstairs bathroom, which will also be taking on a more neutral, grown up feel.  I'll post pictures when we are finished with the switcheroo.

I did take a picture of the newest flower in my perennial bed, a perennial Sweet Pea.  I found a fun peacock trellis for it to climb, and it just started blooming this weekend.  Sadly, the flowers are not scented...I was looking forward to smelling the Sweet Peas!


Well, I didn't finish everything on my list today, but I'm OK with that!  There's always tomorrow.  We will finish up the last few required lessons after Reading Camp and lunch this week, which means next week will be smooth sailing.  Soon I'll be packing up books, and supplies (including a computer and printer this year) to send back in to K12, and the true Summer Break will unfold before us.  Ahhh...the luxury...

No comments: