Friday, March 26, 2010

It's (ah) subliminal...this kiss, this kiss...

I've had Faith Hill's song running through my head all day today. It's not a bad song to have stuck there, I've had worse. I think it's because I lay awake the last night, as I frequently do, thinking about my girls.

I was wondering how to hold on to their innocent, beautiful childhood and yet allow them to grow and learn and experience apart from me. Is it possible?

The soft, sweet time when I tuck them into bed each night is what I'll miss the most. How much longer will J want to do our special kiss sequence? We give each other a feathery "fairy kiss", then nuzzle noses, followed by a soft kiss on the lips. After that, we blow kisses to each other. Finally I take her small, dimpled hand, and after stroking it, I kiss it, and then squeeze it three times: I-Love-You.

L likes to give "wedding kisses", which are on the mouth, and involve several seconds of wagging the head back and forth. She won't let me leave her side until she's also given her "one big hug", which will sometimes leave me gasping.

The puppy, who is now 6 months old and nearing 50 pounds, has her own signs of affection. She is an ear nibbler. To her credit, she does it gently, but rather sloppily...sort of an affectionate kiss/wet willy.

I wouldn't give it up for anything, and I hate missing bedtime because it is like velvet: soft, hushed and dark. I think about those two little bodies and their arms reaching out for me in the night of their bedroom while I lie awake in my own.

1 comment:

Kimberly Long Cockroft said...

I know, I know, I know, I know