Tuesday, March 20, 2012

Still Alive!

Whew! We made it through 3 days of PSSA testing, driving 25 + minutes each way, attempting to avoid the ever present road work delays, dashing home to change and let the dog out before rushing off to work on the first two days. Even though J didn't have other school work due to the testing, Kindergartner L, did. We were able to get guest passwords to connect to the wireless Internet at the testing location, so L and I would find a cozy corner to do school work in. It went surprisingly well!

Now, while we are making the transition between 3rd and 4th grade Language Arts for J, and K and 1st grade Language Arts for L, our load is a bit lighter. I was so glad not to have to rush out the door this morning with backpacks, lunchboxes, computers and my coffee, that I let the girls sleep in a bit. Consequently, we have just finished violin practice, and J is currently at an on-line Math class.

J had so much fun being with kids her age, that it makes me feel a lot better about my (almost) decision to send her to public school next year. It has been a good run, but the past year and a half of Math class have been extremely frustrating, and I am ready to let someone else take over...someone with a degree in education!

It has been so warm lately, that the dog, in her long, black winter coat, is sweltering. I spent over an hour attempting to trim her last night. Today she looks as if someone untrained cut her hair! I'm not finished though, I bathed her this morning, and when her dreads are finally dry, she is easier to brush, and hopefully also to trim. Round 2 tonight, Kali-Girl!



Today, I finally have the chance to take stock of Poplar Ridge in Spring time for the first time since the weekend. The Cleveland Pears lining the curve of the driveway are blooming. This year 8 of the 9 are still living! (The first winter, at least half of them died, and I had to replace 2 last spring.) I am finally able to get an image in my mind of the trees, large and shady, blooming in their lovely cone shapes along the drive.



My Weeping Cherries are weeping long ribbons of fragrant white flowers, and are completely covered with bees. Plants are popping up all over in my flower beds, many of which are likely weeds. I'll deal with them later. For now, the green is very pleasant to behold!



The seeds I planted indoors are sprouting: pumpkins, winter and summer squash and cucumbers. The peppers and tomatoes are taking a bit longer.

The hens are laying 6-7 eggs a day. That's alright for 9 hens, I suppose, but we are planning on a new bunch of peeps in a few weeks. When those are laying, the old biddies will be "retired".

It's the circle of life, and I really enjoy this section of the circle!

No comments: