J had a Science test today on the 5 categories of vertebrates. She got a little grin on her face every time we talked about frogs and toads. I've never been squeamish about wiggly things (it comes from growing up in the country, I suppose), and the girls are growing up the same way.
I drove home in the rain after dark the past 2 nights, and both times I had to swerve to miss little frogs hopping across the road. These tiny things, no bigger than match box cars, seemed to pop up around every bend. After the first 2 or 3, blowing leaves and shiny patches in the road tricked my eyes.
I was out tonight at a literary reading, where my good friend drew me right out of our little town and into her short work of fiction. This is the second time in the past 2 weeks that I was so completely absorbed in a story. The first was while reading the novel, "What Alice Forgot" by Liane Moriarty last week. It is almost like taking a vacation: living vicariously through someone else's life, a break from my own harried and monotonous life.
My life is not dull, just in a rut this month. (How can tiny amphibian sitings, and relocating for cyber school due to power outages be dull?) Yesterday I realized that I can now count on both hands the number of remaining soccer practices and games this month. Kali only goes to her research training 2 more times. Both vehicles need to be inspected in October, the dog and both kitties have vet appointments, and we all need to get our Flu shots.
I'm breaking out the champagne on November 1st, Extracurricular Liberation Day. Who's with me?
2 comments:
Amen! Girls night out? I think so!
I agree with that!! All of it!
Post a Comment