Tuesday, August 30, 2011

Life Lesson #2,764

No matter how enticing it may be, do not, I repeat DO NOT, put a basket full of chard in the washing machine.

Yeah, like many life lessons I learned this one the hard way. Before you say, "Well, DUH...", hear me out. I have many, many times in the past put my greens through the washer: spinach, collards, etc. It is a fantastically easy way to wash and spin dry lots of greens at once. I have never, however, tried this with chard until this morning. The leaves are much stiffer than other types of greens, and the stems are much more substantial.

I ended up with a washer full of tiny bits of leaves and chard stems. It took me half an hour to clean all the bits out of the crevices of my washer. Now I have to wash everything again, and see if there is anything to salvage besides the stems.

I guess stems are better than nothing, right?

No comments: