Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Spring Break

I apologize for the long and unexpected hiatus. Some weeks I barely manage to keep up with life as it sprints along!

This week, however, is Spring Break for J. I am enjoying a few days with fewer deadlines. Sadly, it is half over already! It will culminate on Sunday with our annual Easter Egg hunt (in which I have to search for 45 minutes to find the last 3 eggs I hid since I forgot where I hid them), which the girls are looking forward to immensely.

This morning, the girls had their swimming lessons...numbers 3 and 4 out of 5. We are planning to continue for another 5 weeks if possible. I would very much like to be able to feel comfortable with them in the water!

This afternoon, I let the Sisters into the garden to peck and scratch. While they were otherwise occupied, I hosed down the inside of the coop. We collected 9 eggs today, some of which are HUGE!



Tomorrow a large group of us are planning a Zoo trip, even though the weather will be on the chilly side. We are hoping that means that everyone else will stay away, and we can have a semi-private Zoo experience!

I took a bunch of pictures last week of everything in bloom. It was so windy while I was out that most of the pictures ended up too blurry to post.The orchard doesn't photograph well either: brown sticks against a background of brown mud. Suffice it to say, it actually looks Spring-like outside these days.



The weather is extremely Spring-like in its unpredictability lately. Downpours and long drenching rains are scattered for a few moments by blue sky and cotton clouds before the next act rolls in.

So...we have the poultry, we have the orchard, we have the barn and barn cats. The garden is shaping up, as is the landscaping. The next project is to clear the bottom land by the creek, put up fences and get...perhaps...a couple of beef cows??? Oh my, I'm becoming more of a Country Girl each month! This afternoon, I cleaned out the chicken house in capris and mud boots: the height of Country Girl fashion!

2 comments:

Kimberly Long Cockroft said...

Aren't you glad the crowds stayed away today :-@!

Beef cows? what's next? Goats?

Sally said...

Life on the farm sounds devine!