Wednesday, November 24, 2010

Bird Art

J is working on a really fun unit in Art right now. She started with one magazine picture of an animal and has used it as the basis for 4 different art forms: a realistic drawing, an abstract drawing, a realistic sculpture, and an abstract sculpture. L of course, had to get in on the action too.

J chose a Ruby Throated Hummingbird picture from an old calendar. L chose an Audubon painting of a Flamingo.


Realistic drawing done in oil pastels.



Abstract drawing, entitled "Harriet Hummingbird Has a Crazy Day", also in oil pastels.



Realistic sculpture in clay, entitled "Birdie"



Abstract sculpture built with found objects: drink bottle, milk bottle tops, drinking straw, feathers, pipe cleaners and "jewels".



Here is L's flamingo drawing in the medium of oil pastels, and labelled "Jessie".



Flamingo sculpture in clay ("very fragile" according to the artist).



Abstract flamingo sculpture constructed of found objects: drink bottle, hickory nut, googly eyes, feathers and pipe cleaners.



I thought they did a great job!

1 comment:

Kimberly Long Cockroft said...

Oh, my goodness, girls, I am so very impressed. I was going to say what my favorites were but I can't pick any favorites, because I loved them all. The "found" sculptures are fantastic. What good artists you are.