Sunday, August 22, 2010

Around the Ridge

Summer is winding down. Late summer is a time that leaves me gasping from heat and oppressive humidity. In other words, not my favorite time of year. I've had to water the garden twice in the past week, but we received a much needed rainfall last night that refreshed both the garden and my soul.

The risk of roasting in our skins outdoors has not kept us from enjoying Poplar Ridge lately, however. No matter how hot it gets, it always stays a few degrees lower in the woods. That is where the dog and I have been walking lately, and we come home covered in burrs (a sign that Fall is on its way).



The girls are growing some beautiful, tall sunflowers in circles in the garden.



This week, we tied the tops together to create a sunflower fort for each of them.



My second crop of corn is getting ripe. I picked over 4 dozen ears this week and froze 8 pints of corn that we will enjoy this winter.



Every single ear had worms at the tip, but that's the consequence of choosing not to spray my garden. They still turned out quite a lovely butter and cream color.



The barn kitties (still un-named) moved themselves from the back yard to...guess where? The barn. Both seem to be doing well and I think they plan on sticking around.












Even Kali is pursuing some cooler indoor activities lately, such as playing dress-up with the girls.

1 comment:

Kimberly Long Cockroft said...

What a gorgeous dog.

That corn makes me HUNGRY.

Girls, what lovely sunflower huts. I love them.