Thursday, August 27, 2009

MH 606

Anyone my age (which I won't disclose at this time), and who grew up in the Mennonite church, should be familiar with Hymn 606 in The Mennonite Hymnal: the Mennonite National Anthem, "Praise God From Whom". There is something comforting about this old, rust colored hymnal, with its friendly shape notes dotting the pages from front to back. There is something comforting too, in sitting in the midst of a group of people, singing #606 in four part harmony. Most of the churches I was associated with during my college days switched from the old hymnal, published in 1969, to a new blue book . The blue hymnal still seems like the pushy new kid, and I have never warmed to it (not to mention the fact that "Praise God From Whom" was demoted to 118 or some such random number.)

Here is a clip of "Praise God From Whom" sung at the Mennonite Convention in Columbus this summer:






Mennonites are Anabaptist folks, typically not quite as conservative as our Amish cousins. But the values of "more with less", recycling, reusing, and preserving are as Mennonite to me as Hymn 606. I learned to can, freeze, and dehydrate food along side my mother as a girl, and I now feel some how inadequate if I don't accomplish some sort of food preservation every year (and boy, do we appreciate it every winter!)

For D, my dear, Mennonite friend, here is the recipe I use for sweet pickles. It is so easy and very tasty. The recipe comes from my preserving Bible: Putting Food By, edited by Janet Greene, Ruth Hertzberg, and Beatrice Vaughan.


Sweet Pickle Chips
-makes 5 pints

Brining solution:
1 Qt distilled white vinegar
3 T salt
1 T mustard seed
1/2 c sugar

Canning syrup:
1 2/3 c distilled white vinegar
3 c sugar
1 T whole allspice
2 1/4 t celery seed

4# cucumbers (about 9 medium)

Wash and trim cukes, then cut into 1/4" slices. Mix brining solution in a large pot and add sliced cukes. Cover and simmer until the cukes change color from bright to dull green, stirring occasionally (about 5-7 minutes).

Mix together canning syrup and bring to a boil. Drain pickles and pack them, while still hot, into hot pint canning jars. Cover them with very hot syrup, leaving 1/2" head room. Remove air bubbles and adjust lids. Process in a Hot-Water Bath for 10 minutes, then remove jars. (Be sure to adjust for altitude!)


All of this sweet and pure domestic stuff is covering the irritation I am starting to feel after not being able to watch any television for 2 months. We cannot get any stations with rabbit ears, and the cables and antenna have yet to be connected. Judging from our DVD collection, we really don't need TV any time soon, although I really enjoy "The Mentalist", and L is missing her "Sesame Street". Here is a shot of some of the built-in shelving in the Great Room. This houses DVDs, and (on the kitchen end) cook books.



This is a shot of the Great Room. It is a tricky room to photograph during the day because of all the light coming in the windows. All those plants on the plant shelf were brought by my Mom. She has been saving starts of her plants for me for a long time, and even painted the pots she put them in! Thanks Mom!



Here is a close up of the built-in china cabinet, on the left, just outside of the Master Bedroom.
This close up is of the built-in entertainment center, on the right side, just outside of the Library.


And finally, I have re-started doing Yoga in the mornings. I should probably be going for a walk instead, but I am finding it a very calm way to start out the day. The girls like to do it too. Hopefully this is a routine that I can continue once school starts.

1 comment:

Kimberly Long Cockroft said...

We still sing above hymn in our church! Yoga! Excellent! What instruction do you use?