For breakfast this morning, I made President Kennedy's Favorite Waffles. I recently read that the lovely Jackie O. fixed this recipe on a regular basis for JFK, and what's good enough for the President is good enough for my family.
These waffles were AMAZING! They are melt in your mouth light, but crispy on the outside. You should definitely give this recipe a try:
The President's Favorite Waffles
1/2 cup butter
1 T sugar
2 eggs, separated
1 c buttermilk
1 c + 1 T cake flour
1/4 t salt
4 t baking powder
- Beat egg whites until stiff.
- Stir together flour, salt and baking powder.
- Cream butter and sugar, and then add egg yolks.
- Gradually add dry ingredients to butter mixture, alternating with buttermilk.
- Gently fold in egg whites.
- Cook in well greased waffle iron until golden and crispy.