Monday, May 1, 2017

Raising Feminists

The sky is turning black, and there are tornado watches in our area, so I will make this brief so that I can turn off the computer!

You may think that I am writing this post about my girls, but I am not.  I am writing about my 29 red x-link pullets.  I noticed about 2 weeks ago that 4 out of the 6 peeps that I bought at Tractor Supply appear to be cockerels.  Just a few days after that, I noticed that all 4 of them were missing all of their tail feathers as well as most of the feathers on their backs.  I slathered them all with bright purple "Pick-No-More" lotion, which is supposed to stop picking and help with healing.

A few days later, their tails looked decidedly better, so I have been applying the goop about every 3-4 days.  This morning, however, just 24 hours after the last application, 2 of the cockerels had bloody tails, and I caught the red pullets in the act of pecking them.  This had gone beyond picking out feathers, they were through the skin and into the flesh of the poor little guys!  I removed them from the aggressive young ladies.


A couple of hours later, I found a 3rd cockerel bloody and being actively pecked.  I moved all 4 of the cockerels to the empty Egg Cart'n for respite and recovery.

So it appears that my pullets have gone past being simply strong women, to being raging feminists.  I actually looked up the antonym for "misogynist".  Although rarely used, it appears the correct term for these little beasts is "misandrist" - a hater of men.

No comments: