Sunday, May 14, 2017

Mother's Day Weekend

This is the first weekend in the past several, that it hasn't rained...much.  It was slightly dried out so that JP could mow part of the acreage today.  I tried broad forking 2 garden beds, and it's still pretty muddy.  I persevered though, and planted one bed of potatoes!

Yesterday, as per our Mother's Day weekend routine, we went to the nursery.  There I bought annuals for my outdoor pots, as well as some herbs for my new herb garden.


Basil, Cilantro (aka "that vile weed"), Chives, Thyme,
Rosemary, Lemon Verbena, Parsley, and Lemon Grass
 
JP also got me this stunning petunia.  I think it's called "Night Sky."

 
I transplanted a few things from other flower beds, plus got almost everything planted that we picked up.  While working in my big flower bed, I found this tiny guy.  I was able to identify him/her as a juvenile Eastern Box Turtle.  So cute!

 
More things are in bloom:


Lupine & Grandma's Irises
 
Peonies after the rain...
 
Lovely weekend - I felt very loved by my family.  Hope you all had a wonderful Mother's Day as well!



1 comment:

Anonymous said...

What an adorable wee turtle!!! I had no idea they could be so tiny!
Your flowers are looking gorgeous. I see you found a way to keep the cats out of your planter! We have such a problem with cats--one in particular--scratching up our seeds. There's a part of the garden where I can't grow any seeds at all and I had to put chicken wire over my veggie bed. I'm all for live and let live, as long as the stupid cat doesn't go burrowing and pooping in my garden!!!
Today we had our hottest day yet this year and it was sublime. Some of us are sunburnt and we are all probably pretty smelly :). But I love to see the sun and the flowers back! KLC