Thursday, May 11, 2017

Farming by the Numbers

I have my recycled tractor tire herb garden ready to plant...even bought a few baby herbs to get it started, but first have to figure out how to convince the kitties that it is NOT their new litter box.

HMPH.

In the meantime, I am a bit surprised and proud of myself for working out all of the logistics.  Instead of randomly buying a bunch of garden soil, and winging it, I thought I'd figure out how much I would need in a scientific manner.  So of course, I turned to my stellar geometry whiz of a daughter, and asked for the formula for the volume of a cylinder.

V=pi*radius squared*height

The tire is about 45 inches in diameter and 15 inches high, so if you do the math, it comes to almost 14 cubic feet.  I bought 3 - 2 cubic foot bags of garden soil at Big Lots, and hauled 4 wheelbarrows full of manure and compost from the garden, and it filled the tire perfectly.

Other numbers on the farm include 30 pullets and cockerels, who in 43 days, have eaten 140 pounds of chick feed.

There are also the 22 hens, who in the past 11 days have laid only 99 eggs.  That averages to 9 eggs per day, which means that less than half of the hens are laying.  Pathetic.

It has also rained approximately 4.08 inches so far this month, which is why I have only 2 out of 16 garden beds planted.

The good news is that it is 8:33 on Thursday evening, which means that there are only 15 days of school remaining this year, and just 18 more lunches to pack.

No comments: