Thursday, April 6, 2017

A Peep of a Different Color

All of the peeps that came in the mail last week are doing well, save one who appears to have been injured.  She is limping around and sleeping a lot.  I try to place her by the food and water every couple of hours during the day, as she doesn't seem to try to get there on her own.  She is the tiniest one by far, and it's still a bit touch-and-go with her.

 
I was thinking that, although extremely cute, my peeps were a bit homogeneous in appearance.
 

Even Chaz thinks they're boring.
I happened into Tractor Supply Company earlier this week, and noted that they were selling a variety of chicks of indeterminate breeds for just $1.99/each.  I decided to bite the bullet and get a half dozen to "flavor" my flock.  The kind TSC employee tried to be certain that she got all pullets.  I have spent more than an hour on line, trying to identify the breeds of these chicks, but I can't be certain of that either.  I guess we'll know in a few weeks what sex and breed they are!  I thought it might be fun to get some that lay another color of egg, so I'm hoping that one or more of them are Americaunas.


 
The more adventuresome of my peeps have been "flying" up on to the side of the bin, and then falling off on to the floor for the past couple of days.  They are also roosting on top of the feeder, and on the hospital box that the gimpy chick was isolated in.  Last night I dreamed that 5 of the peeps died because they fell out of the bin, couldn't get back in, and got too cold overnight.  Today I moved them from inside the bin to half of the smaller side of the chicken house, and put the roosts down for them.  They seem to enjoy it!


I did manage to get 2 beds broadforked in the garden, and got my peas planted last night before the rain came today (and SNOW is forcasted for tonight/tomorrow!)

In the old chicken pasture, the red clover that I sowed is coming up.


All is well on the "Farm" this Spring!

No comments: