Monday, August 22, 2016

Surprise!

We had an interesting weekend. 

The garden is especially bountiful right now.  These are the things that I brought in this weekend.

Tomatoes, Peppers, Onions, Carrots, Corn, Cantaloupes & Kohlrabi

We had our first fresh corn on the cob.  I also made and canned pasta sauce using almost every ingredient from the garden, with the exception of celery.  This is the recipe I use:  http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/giada-de-laurentiis/simple-tomato-sauce-recipe3.html

L's cantaloupes are getting ripe!  We've picked 5 so far, and they are delicious.  We've never had luck with melons in the past.


Speaking of melons, I usually let the ladies clean out the watermelon rinds once I cut out the flesh.


They do a pretty good job.

 
On Saturday evening, we went out for dinner with the girls and my parents to celebrate our August weddings 3 days apart.  When we returned home, we found my parents house full of our friends - my mother and my friend secretly planned a surprise party to celebrate our 25th anniversary. 

 
JP was not surprised.  He was suspicious from the moment my mother invited us several weeks ago.  He went so far as to call the restaurant right before we left home to find out if there were reservations for a large party.  Lacking a reservation, he says he figured people would be there when we got back.

I was gullible enough to have no such concerns, and I was duly surprised.  We had a lovely time visiting with our friends and neighbors. 

My mother gave us this tea set that my grandmother gave to my parents for THEIR 25th wedding anniversary.
 

The last thing that surprised me this weekend, was this little hummingbird that perched on the fence of my flower garden for about 15 minutes on Saturday morning.

3 comments:

Victoria Williams said...

Well happy anniversary!!! And that beautiful tea set handed down? That is amazing. Great surprise party, too. :-)

Victoria Williams said...

Oh, and I'm jealous of all your cantalopes!!! Nice job! Our girls love the rinds too when I BUY one from the store. ;-)

Country Girl said...

We have to buy the watermelons too, but the cantaloupe has been a lovely surprise this year! My daughter planted 4 plants, and so far we have had 24 delicious melons!