Saturday, July 2, 2016

Worth It?

Yesterday, in honor of "Creative Ice Cream Flavor Day", I decided to try to make a recipe for Salted Butter Caramel Ice Cream that John showed me.

It was very involved.  First you have to make a salted caramel that is broken into little pieces after it cools and hardens, which are mixed into the ice cream at the end.  Then you make another caramel, into which you stir butter, cream and milk, and finally 5 egg yolks.  The entire mixture is cooked to 165*, and then strained and cooled.  When it is completely cooled, it can be frozen in an ice cream mixer. 

I took me about 1 1/2 hours to make the ice cream base yesterday, not including washing up all the dishes and bowls.  We tried it last night and it was INCREDIBLE!

I was looking forward to having the rest tonight, but almost cried when JP broke the news to me this morning that I  had inadvertently left it out on the counter all night long.

I will probably make it again, but not for a while.  I have to work through the heartache first.

In the meantime, I have been working hard on getting the pile of wood chips into the garden.  First I mowed everything well, and used the weed eater all around.  Then I have been placing pieces of landscaping fabric, and covering that with at least 3 inches of the chips.

It is hard and slow work.

I have nearly worn out my leather gloves in the process!
 
At this point, my feet, back, butt, shoulders and arms are killing me, but I have finished between every row (that makes 15 paths), and around 2 sides of the square strawberry bed in the middle.



There is only a small portion of the pile left.

 
I wonder what the chances are that the tree trimmers will bring another load?

All this work...is it worth it?  It's easy to think that it is not when I am so exhausted and sore, but I think in the long run it is.  Down the road, I won't have to push the mower in the garden as much.  And I will be absolutely sure to put that excellent ice cream back in the freezer next time!

No comments: