Sunday, July 17, 2016

Been Busy

I haven't posted much this summer, not because nothing is going on (although it's been a nice, laid-back summer so far), but because I've been spending an inordinate amount of time in the garden.  I've used approximately 1 1/4 dump truck loads of my free wood chips on the garden paths so far.  It's looking pretty good, even if I must say so myself.


Unfortunately, I discovered that there must be some poison ivy mixed in with the stuff.  Now the routine is:  work on moving wood chips while wearing washable cotton work gloves, strip down immediately upon entering the house and wash all clothing and gloves in hot water, take super soapy shower, wash phone & earbuds with wet wipe, wash garden clogs outside.  It's a pain, but I haven't noticed any new spots of poison for almost a week.

I finally have the last of the planting done, although it will soon be time to pull out the peas and replant for a Fall crop.

Today I picked rhubarb, kohlrabi, a couple
 of tomatoes, the first cucumber, and the
last handful of blueberries

L's garden beds are doing especially well, probably because they get weeded, watered and mulched regularly, unlike the rest of the garden.

Baby cantaloupes in L's garden
L's peppers
 
One of these days I will get around to weeding and mulching my flower bed.  It is looking pretty colorful at the moment.  My blue Balloon Flower (Platycodon grandiflorus) is particularly striking.

 
It hasn't been all work and no play, however.  The girls and I have been trying to take a fun outing weekly.  So far we have been to get free donuts for Donut Day, mini golfing, to see "Finding Dory", to the Science Museum, to Oglebay Park, and to the Zoo.  It's been fun!















The girls feeding Lorikeets at Oglebay Park.









This afternoon, we had a get together with a few families of our friends.  The host outdid himself with delicious homemade rolls, cinnamon rolls and grilled Cornish hens.  Now I am digesting and being lazy.  It feels fabulous!

1 comment:

ERK said...

The Garden looks great!