Wednesday, May 18, 2016

Hump Day

Thank goodness this week is over!

What?  Not over?  Well, it feels like I've lived an entire week already, so I'm just going to sigh, and be glad that today is Hump Day, and it should be all downhill for the rest of the week!

The past 2 days have been overwhelmingly busy, and on top of that, I've been struggling with some of the heaviest emotional baggage that I've carried in quite a while.

J  is taking Algebra in Grade 7- a year ahead of half of her class, and was just informed last week  that the only way she can advance to Geometry next year is by getting an A average in the class.  I assumed she must be mistaken - she can only pass with an A?  Come on, that can't be right!  I received verification via email from her teacher yesterday that this was indeed the case, which made me absolutely furious!  Why am I getting this information just 2 weeks before the end of the school year?

J, who has put in AT LEAST an hour almost every week day of this school year doing Algebra homework (and frequently 2-3 hours), will likely be doing it again next year, because she has a B average so far for the year.

AAAAARRRRRGGGGHHHH!

I have spoken to the Principal, as well as a member of the School Board about my concerns, and they are "looking into it."

In the meantime, poor J, who feels completely demoralized about the whole situation, had an Algebra exam this AM.  She studied hard last night, and I sent her off to school this morning with a mug of her favorite tea, and a hug.  When I picked her up this afternoon, she felt pretty good about the exam, got 100% on last night's homework, and will be getting some extra credit points for having all of her assignments turned in this quarter.  Apparently the teacher is feeling somewhat guilty?

Tonight JP has a dinner meeting for work, so we girls are on our own for the second night in a row.  No one (miraculously) has home work tonight, so we are having an easy dinner, and watching a movie.  I can't wait to sit down and relax!

First I must go pick asparagus.

It is not doing so well this year, perhaps because the first crop froze.  I picked enough on Monday evening to try a new recipe from Cook's Illustrated, which was delicious:



Thai Style Asparagus
1 1/2 # asparagus spears
1 T vegetable oil
1 T minced garlic
1 T minced jalapeno
2 T fish sauce
1 t soy sauce
1 T water
1 T sugar
1 c chopped fresh basil
9 thin strips of red bell pepper

-Bring 1" of water to a boil in a large pot.  Place asparagus spears in a steamer basket, cover and steam over med-hi heat x 4 min.
-Heat oil in large skillet or wok. Add garlic & chili and stir fry for 15 sec.
-Add asparagus and stir fry until entirely coated with oil
-Add liquids and stir fry until almost evaporated, approx. 30 sec.
-Add sugar and continue to stir fry for 30 sec.
-Add basil and peppers and stir fry until basil is wilted.

It's all downhill from here!


1 comment:

Kimberly Long Cockroft said...

CRAZY. Poor Jenna🙁☹️!!