Sunday, February 14, 2016

The Boy Who Lived

Having recently binge watched all 8 Harry Potter movies, and having 2 children currently reading the books (J for the 3rd time!), there is a lot of Harry Potter discussion going on at our house.  Some time ago, J was wishing for a "nice, icy glass of Pumpkin Juice", while I was hoping for a frothy mug of Butterbeer.

I found a couple of Butterbeer recipes a couple of weeks ago, and finally got the ingredients to whip up a batch this weekend.  They were quite good!

For the girls, I used the following recipe that I adapted from the Huffington Post:

1 cup brown sugar
2 T water
6 T butter
1/2 tsp salt
3/4 cup heavy cream, divided
1/2 tsp rum extract
Cream Soda

Combine brown sugar & water in small saucepan over medium heat.  Bring to a gentle boil, and cook, stirring frequently, until mixture reaches 240 degrees on an instant read thermometer.  Remove from heat and stir in butter, salt and 1/4 cup heavy cream.  Cool to room temperature, then stir in 1/2 tsp rum extract.

Whip 2 T butterscotch mixture with remaining cream until very soft peaks.

Add 1/4 cup of butterscotch mixture into each of 4 glasses, add about 1/4 cup of cream soda and stir gently until combined, then fill glasses with cream soda.  Top with a good dollop of whipped cream.

**I think that the same affect could be achieved by using a good quality butterscotch or caramel ice cream syrup with a tad of rum flavoring, and save the cooking.

JP and I had an alcoholic version that I adapted from intoxicology.net.

Mix 1 oz butterscotch Schnapps, 1 oz vanilla vodka, and 8 oz cream soda in a glass and top with dollop of whipped cream from the above recipe.

Yummy.

Maybe now I'll look into some pumpkin juice recipes, but pumpkin juice just does not sound appetizing to me!

1 comment:

Victoria Williams said...

Both sound delicious! I wish our weather would cooperate and actually be the "winter" it's supposed to be, then these drinks would fit right in.