Tuesday, February 2, 2016

Groundhog Day

We are watching the movie "Groundhog Day" with Bill Murphy and Andie McDowell this evening, as is our tradition.  I've heard rumors that PA's famous groundhog, Punxatawney Phil did not see his shadow this morning, meaning that Spring is on its way.  It feels like it too, the weather has been in the 40's and 50's, and all that snow from the other weekend, including another 2-3 inches that fell on Thursday night - Friday, is all gone.

Dad has tapped the Maple trees, and I see him driving his sap tractor around every afternoon, collecting the sap.  Smoke is coming out of the chimney of his sap shed too, meaning that he has been hard at work cooking it down.

JP was scheduled for a conference last weekend at an exclusive resort not far from here.  He went out on Thursday, and when he called to tell me that he made it safely there, he told me that there was a mountain lion in a cage right outside of our room.  He came back for us on Friday afternoon, so that we could enjoy the weekend there with him.  We didn't actually see the mountain lion until we were ready to leave on Sunday, but when I looked out my window on Saturday morning, I saw 2 zebras and a little donkey walking by!

 
We went to a gymnasium on Saturday morning.  L seemed to enjoy herself, but J sat on the bleachers the entire time with her earbuds in.


In the afternoon, we had reservations for tubing.  The outside temperature was near 50*, but we went anyway.  The hill was quite slow - in fact, the run down our own hill was much faster!  We also ended up waiting in line for 30 minutes between rides.  The only redeeming factor was the lift that dragged us back up the hill, so no walking!  We gave up after 2 rides a piece.

 
Over all, it was nice to get away for a bit.  I had plenty of catch-up laundry to do on Sunday afternoon, as well as unpacking.

J is home sick today with a stomach bug.  She seems to be of similar constitution to myself - I have not vomited since I was twelve years old, except for the first trimester of each of my pregnancies.  She is incredibly uncomfortable with abdominal pain, cramping and nausea, but no vomiting.  I think she'll be home tomorrow too.

Welcome to Spring, everyone, and if the Groundhog was right, this might be my favorite February EVER!

No comments: