Tuesday, January 19, 2016

How To Embarrass Your Teen Aged Daughter

So, J has been trending a bit dark over the past year.  She enjoys wearing all black clothing, and also paints her fingernails black.  Batman is her favorite superhero, whom she is deluded into believing could beat Superman (Ha!)  I made the mistake of calling her "pseudo-Goth" the other day, and she told me that she is NOT Goth, she is "Emo."

I had to consult Wikipedia to get my punk rock subcultures straight.  According to them, "Gothic fashion is stereotyped as conspicuously dark, eerie, mysterious, complex and exotic."  While "the term "emo" is stereotyped with wearing jeans, sometimes in bright colors and may often be close-fitting and t-shirts (usually short-sleeved) which often bear the names of emo bands. Studded belts and black wristbands can be associated in emo fashion."  Apparently "emo" folks also add bright pops of color to their ensemble (think:  Batman's bright yellow bat!)

This is J more than 2 years ago!

Luckily for me, she no longer favors the candy colors and sparkles at Justice, but now prefers the dim light and blaring punk music at Hot Topic.  I can tolerate it a teeny bit more, because I browse the anime (Totoro) and vintage film (Breakfast Club) T's, while she is looking at the punk band T's (as well as Harry Potter, anime, and Dr. Who.)

She decided to use some of her birthday money recently to buy some T shirts at Hot Topic, but came home with a snarky one that JP and I did not approve of.  We used our day off yesterday, in honor of Dr. Martin Luther King, to return to the store in the bitter cold, and exchange the T for something a bit nicer.

The sales clerk, a young lady with blue hair, asked me to sign the receipt and write a reason for the exchange.  "Can I write, 'Parents don't approve of T shirt slogan?'" I asked. 

"Mooooom!"  J moaned.

"You can put whatever." the sales clerk assured me.

And so I did.

And so we left.

And thus I embarrassed my teen aged daughter.

No comments: