Friday, January 8, 2016

Excuse Me While I Disappear

Well, it's official:  my teenaged daughter would rather be any place but home, and with anyone but family.  I knew it was bound to happen sooner or later, but thought I might have a respite of a year or two yet...

Last night, she outlined the reasons why she should spend the night at her friend's house, rather than have her friend spend the night here.  Among these was that "her mother is more fun", her house is "cool" (because it's haunted), and she doesn't live "in the boondocks so there's more fun stuff to do."

Her mother is more FUN?  I've tried to navigate the fine line between giving her space when her friends are over, and participating in their activities.  Ugh. 

I woke early this morning, with a feeling like a huge rock in my stomach.  Even though I knew to expect this behavior, it still hurts.  I've been mulling it all over, and I don't think I've done anything wrong.  Yes, we have a lot of rules in our household, but in my opinion, some of her friends live with an astounding lack of rules.  True, I'm older than a lot of her friend's moms, but that is beyond my control.  I try to be with it, I try not to embarrass her, whatever.  I'm still not very fun.

And by the way, our house is totally cool BECAUSE it's in the boondocks!

So...on the docket for January:  FUN lessons.  Anyone with me?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Oh, she is just the perfect teenager. Of course she thinks her friend's house is more fun. It wouldn't matter if you could juggle pies--she'd think that was embarrassing. But if her friend's mom juggled pies, that would be amazing! I bet she comes around in, say. . .10 years.

Well, hopefully sooner!

I always have fun with you when we hang out! I think you're great! xoxo
KLC