Monday, December 7, 2015

Bring it On!

The weather has been unseasonably mild so far this Fall.  Although we have had a number of below freezing nights in a row, for the past several days the sun has been out and the temperatures have been up in the mid 50's during the day.  It has allowed us to make preparations for February, the most wicked of months.

A couple of months ago, we were able to get our wood in for the season.  This weekend I finally finished putting my garden to bed the way I'd been planning for the past 5 years.  All of the beds are weeded and resting under a thick blanket of shredded leaves.  Between the 2 of us, JP and I have managed to change the coolant in a couple of our vehicles & equipment in order to prevent engine block cracking due to cold.  JP removed the shade from the Chick-bit house, and he & Dad got the latch fixed on the outdoor wood burner.

So far, we have not needed to fire up the big wood burner.  We have been enjoying fires in the woodstove in the mornings though, and I will probably need to haul wood to refill the pile on our veranda at some point.

JP decided that it has been below freezing long enough that we could remove the window screens.  I have all of the windows on the main floor cleaned inside and out where possible.  It allows so much more light in!

It also appears that Dad has just bagged a deer.  I heard a shot, and now he is on his way to the barn in his blaze orange to get the tractor.  I have not been so lucky yet.

We are also ready for Christmas.  The tree is up, the decorations are out, and the gifts are wrapped.  There are a few more stragglers of packages that I am waiting on from Amazon, and I need to get a few more stocking stuffers, but most of it is done.  I also have L's birthday gifts wrapped!

So.  I think we're ready for it all - the Holidays, the snow and cold weather, even February.  Bring it on!

1 comment:

Victoria Williams said...

Sounds good! Glad to hear everything is up to snuff.