Monday, November 16, 2015

November Sunshine

After the 40+ MPH wind gusts last week, the weather this weekend was calm, warm and sunny.  In other words, it was gorgeous, and it was hard to stay inside!

I was a bit (a LOT) discouraged that all of the leaves that I spent so much time putting on the garden beds mostly blew off with the high winds.  Our friend, K, brought us 2 more pick-up loads of leaves from town as well.  I spent several hours out there, running over piles of leaves with the lawn mower, and re-depositing them on the garden beds.  JP came out later and helped by roto-tilling a couple of beds that were so full of weeds that I felt overwhelmed when ever I even entertained the THOUGHT of weeding them.  I got filthy, but finished chopping up leaves, and got all the beds covered except for the 2 that still have Fall peas growing in them.

 
I even harvested L's herbs (parsley and sage), and hung them to dry in the basement.

 
On Sunday afternoon, we took a long walk around the property.  We had the most fun down by the creek, where we discovered oodles of Milkweed pods.  These were fun to drop in the stream and watch them sail away like little boats.  The girls found the seeds irresistible, and threw handfuls of them into the air like snow.


I found the seeds and pods absolutely riveting just to look at.


I'm happy to say that after 6 years of searching, we have finally found a climbing tree on our property!  We all tried it out, except for JP, who had to take pictures.


I'll close with a picture of my Christmas Cactus, which has exploded with color just a few weeks early for Christmas.  I think it is enjoying the sunshine too!





2 comments:

Kimberly Long Cockroft said...

Wow, what lovely weather! Wish we could have some here!

Love those "RARELY SEEN" photos!

Victoria Williams said...

That's a gorgeous Christmas cactus! I have two smallish ones. Glad you had some good weather. The milkweed pods look like fun.