Friday, November 20, 2015

Lucky 13

My oldest daughter officially became a teenager yesterday (although she's had the classic teenage angst going on for awhile already.)  I've actually noticed some signs of emotional maturity in her lately.  None too soon, either, as they had a bomb threat at her school earlier this week - evacuated everyone.  This is the second time since she's been there!

This is one of a multitude of selfies that I find on my phone at random times.

It's funny - she's been listening to Enya a lot recently (a vast departure from her fave punk groups with strange names like "Panic! At the Disco", "Black Veil Brides", and "Fall Out Boy.")  Enya was playing in the delivery room when she was born 13 years ago.

She has decided that she didn't want to have a party this year, just a quiet celebration with family at home.  She did, however, request a Red Velvet Cake.  She changed her mind when our "Cook's Country" magazine arrived 2 days ago and she saw the recipe for Red Velvet Cheesecake.  This is a layer of Red Velvet Cake, topped with a layer of White Chocolate Cheesecake, topped with another layer of Red Velvet.  All of this is slathered with Cream Cheese frosting, and then Red Velvet crumbs are pressed into the sides of the cake.  It looks delicious!

The cakes have just come out of the oven, and in 10 minutes I can turn them out of the pans to finish cooling.  I'll only have 3 or 4 more steps to complete today in order to put this thing together!

It's becoming increasingly harder to find gifts for this child.  Gone are the days when a couple of books, a game and a Barbie made her beam with delight.  Now her gift list reads like the electronics department at Target:  iPod Touch, Lap top, mini fridge (?).  Sigh.

Happy, happy Birthday, my dear, sweet J Bird!  You are the light of my life and the reason I have grey hair...but I wouldn't have it any other way.  There is only one J Bird, and you make every day an adventure.  I love you Sweetie!

3 comments:

Victoria Williams said...

Congratulations to your daughter! My two children are 29 and 31 now but I remember the teen years. Your daughter sounds interesting. And BTW, she's sooo pretty.

Country Girl said...

Thank you! Her latest request is to dye her hair blue because "my hair is soooooo ugly!"

Anonymous said...

YAY! Welcome to teenagehood, J! You are beautiful. . .and lucky to have such a lovely mother!

xoxoxo
Aunt Kim