Sunday, October 18, 2015

Karma

What goes around, comes around...right?  Does it also follow that Epic Fail days can be followed by acts of restitution which even things out, so to speak?  I really hope so!

Thursday was one of those days when I felt liked I failed repeatedly as a parent.  Even though I managed to get everyone out the door on time to school/work, exercised, paid the bills and made chicken salad even before heading out the door to work myself, it still felt overwhelmingly like a Fail Day. 

I picked up L after school, and things looked good for getting to J's last soccer game just in time for the start.  The GPS directions, however, brought us to a road, less than 2 miles from our destination, that was completely closed, without any posted detours.  I drove around for 20 min before finally finding the school, after saying some things that I'd rather not repeat in front of L.  We managed to see the last 5 or 10 minutes before the half.

Did I mention that I also managed to take a snack for the soccer team to the middle school before work - a cooler of bottled water, 2 bags of clementines, and a box of granola bars?  I thought that the girls ate this on the way to the games, so I had Jenna drag the cooler back off the bus before we headed home from the game.  Only after the bus left, was I informed that not only had I deprived the other girls of their drinks, I deprived J of her snack!

At home, already feeling pretty crappy, things got worse.  L still had homework that I was unaware of, and I completely lost it with her - like screaming insanely lost it - before she FINALLY got in bed 20 minutes past her bedtime.

Thank goodness for Fridays!  I got the truck inspected (passed.)  And started on the mountain of mending that had nearly buried my desk.  I replaced the zipper in a pair of JP's shorts (HATE zippers), and altered 2 new pairs of jeans for him (tedious), besides letting down the hem of pants for J, and putting fasteners in her Halloween costume.

Yesterday I picked everything in the garden, brought in my potted plants, and covered a select few things in the garden that I hoped to save from the frost last night.  I covered the air conditioner and the outdoor table, and brought in the hammock. 

This afternoon, I took L to her soccer game, while JP stayed home with J and made dinner.  He did a tenderloin of pork, baked bread, and made a salad.  I baked sweet potato fries (not a hit) and had made Chocolate Pots de Crème (in my on-going attempt to use eggs, since we are getting at least 20 eggs/day from our remaining 24 hens = a LOT of eggs!)  It was delicious!

Chocolate Pots de Crème
-Recipe from America's Test Kitchen Family Cookbook
 
6 oz. bittersweet chocolate, chopped fine (I used Hershey's Special Dark)
7 large egg yolks
1/3 c sugar
1/8 t salt
1 1/2 c heavy cream
1/2 c whole milk
1 t vanilla extract
 
Place chocolate in a large bowl and set aside.
 
Whisk eggs yolks, sugar and salt together in a bowl until smooth.
 
Bring cream and mild to a simmer in a med saucepan over med heat, stirring occasionally.  Slowly whisk about half of the cream mixture into the egg yolks.  Slowly whisk the yolk mixture back into the remaining cream.  Return to low heat and cook, whisking constantly, until the mixture thickens slightly, and coats the back of a spoon (175-180*), about 7-9 min.
 
Strain the mixture through a fine mesh strainer into the bowl of chocolate, and let sit for 2 minutes.  Slowly whisk until thoroughly combined, then add vanilla.  Pour into 6-6 oz ramekins, cover with plastic wrap, and refrigerate until firm, about 4 hours.
-------------------------------------------------
Even if all of this productiveness does not cancel out the poor parenting of earlier in the week, I FEEL better about myself and my family.  I'm going to call things even.

Egg use total today - 17.

3 comments:

Kimberly Long Cockroft said...

Good heavens, girl, you are busier than God. Or maybe some argue that God's not busy enough. . .but still. Wow. Make sure you slow down enough to get some loving! Those pots de creme look like love. I am falling in love just thinking about them.

Wish I could take some of those gorgeous eggs off your hands. I have been buying the four dozen at Costco because we eat so many. We are big supporters of chickens. Do you think they would travel to WA okay? :)

Country Girl said...

We were concerned today that some of them would fly away with a red-tailed hawk. JP and I took turns standing sentry, he with his rifle, and I with a pitchfork!

Blogger said...

Did you know that you can shorten your long urls with Shortest and get $$$$ from every click on your shortened urls.