Wednesday, June 17, 2015

A Plethora of Rain and Exclamation Points

Normally I wouldn't complain about the rain, as I rarely irrigate my garden any other way.  It also seems sacrilegious somehow to whine about too much rain when we've had to haul water for the past 2 summers when our well went dry.  But here I am, dismayed by all the rain we've had.

For one thing, I've had to keep dusting my plants with diatomaceous earth to keep them from getting munched by various veggie munching insects, as the rain continues to wash it off.  It appears at this point, that the bugs are winning.

In addition, I have to repeatedly remove water from the pool, and add various chemicals, as the rain water unceasingly dilutes it.

Bother.

This morning, the girls and I went out and picked a trio of berries before the rain started.

 
We also found a trio of beautiful Black Swallowtail caterpillars on L's parsley.
 
 

All the rain is making the veggies grow (as well as the weeds.)  I picked Sugar Snap Peas for the first time on Monday.

 
I don't think it is caused by the rain, but I've noticed the overabundance of exclamation points in my emails, blog posts, and texts lately.  Typically I go through and edit out over half of them before posting or mailing (with the exception of texts) and too many yet remain.

I listened to a podcast last week called "How to Do Everything," which bemoaned the excess of exclamation points recently, and suggested going on a 30 Day Exclamation Point Fast.  Thus, I am not using any exclamation points for the next 27 days.  Join me, won't you?  At least take a listen to the podcast, it's quite humorous.

No comments: