Sunday, March 29, 2015

Educational Leave

We have been out of town for the past week - taking an educational leave in the Lancaster area.  While JP was at his Medical Conference, the girls and I worked on homework sent along by their teachers, made use of the Hotel pool, visited my cousin on her nearby Dairy Farm, and explored educational opportunities in the surrounding areas.

First, the obligatory Lancaster Co. buggy picture:


We spent a chilly day at Valley Forge, learning about the winter of 1777-78 during the Revolutionary War.

General Anthony Wayne, for whom
 Waynesburg is named!


L was intrigued by the artillery

National Memorial Arch
 
Inside one of the 1000 huts in Valley Forge built by and for the Brigades during the winter of 1777-78.  They slept 12 to a hut!

JP joined us for a trip to Philadelphia, where we visited the Franklin Institute.


One of the reasons that I wanted to visit the Franklin Institute was because of this little guy:

 
This is an automaton, built in the 1800's by Henri Maillardet.  The Franklin Institue acquired the piece in 1928, but were unable to discover the history or creator of the automaton until they could restore its function.  When it is working, the "Draughtsman-Writer" will make 4 drawings and 3 poems, the final one of which includes the line "Written by the Automaton of Maillardet."  I learned about this after perusing the graphic novel, The Invention of Hugo Cabret, (upon which the movie "Hugo" is based.)  I found it completely fascinating.  You can read more about this machine here.

We also were able to spend an evening with JP's sister & brother-in-law, and visit my Grandfather's estate in Frazer.

This is the house, on Route 30, that my Grandfather built in the 1940's, in which my father and his 6 brothers and sisters grew up.  The white buildings behind it are the Laundromat and Car Wash of Speedi King, the business that my Grandfather started, and which is now owned and run by my uncle.  (You can enlarge the pictures slightly by clicking on them.)

 
Up the hill is the community garden run by Frazer Mennonite Church, the property for which was donated to the church by my grandparents.  Behind it (by the white car) is the house that my grandparents lived in from the 1970's on (it is now the parsonage for the church.)


My Dad helped to build Frazer Church in 1960.  Both he and my Mom, as well as JP and I were married there.  Both of my grandparents, my uncle, and a great aunt and uncle are all buried there.  This area is saturated with connections to my roots.  JP's too - when we first got engaged, his aunt heard about it from my grandmother at Frazer church, where they both attended!


1 comment:

Kim and Victoria said...

Looks like a great trip. You have a lot of family history!