Tuesday, February 17, 2015

I Don't Know About You, But I'm Feeling 22

Ok, Taylor Swift, maybe I'm not feeling *quite* 22, but I thought I was doing pretty good for my age.  True, some mornings I wake up and feel about 72, but a cuppa Joe and 20 minutes on the elliptical usually gets me going.

Last week I had a Physical scheduled with my Family Doc.  When she walked into the exam room, she handed me this envelope filled with information for folks my age.


Middle Age?  Really?  I can hardly believe that I'm at my peak right now and it's all downhill from here!

Yesterday I had an appointment with the Orthopedic Hand Surgeon.  He told me that I have fairly advanced arthritis in my thumb for someone MY AGE.  I am now scheduled for hand surgery in a couple of weeks in which he will actually remove one of my hand bones, and re-route a tendon so that the joint in the base of my left thumb will no longer be rubbing bone-on-bone.

Young people do not have surgery for advanced arthritis, right?  So it must be true.  I must have reached Middle Age.

SIGH.

I went to visit my 99 year old Grandmother a week ago.  She is starting to show her age.  But if she was labeled "Middle Aged" at my age, she would still have over half of her life to live!

I refuse to believe it.

I also would have refused surgery, if it were not for gardening season coming up soon, in which I want to be able to dig without being slowed down by advanced arthritis in my thumb.

So there.

No comments: