Thursday, January 22, 2015

It's the Bomb

It's been a strange week.  The weather has been unusually warm for January in Pennsylvania.  The girls and I went for a walk with the dogs a couple of nights ago.  We all enjoyed the fresh air and a little bit of sunshine!  We had already watched the sun rise on the way to school that day, and watched it set on our walk, which served to remind us that it is still January, and the days are still way too short!

Monday was our first make up day for the 2 snow days that we accrued right after Christmas break.  At about 11:30, I got an email that there had been a bomb threat at the Middle School.  It stated that all of the students and staff had been safely evacuated and were "under shelter", that the Police were currently on the premises with bomb sniffing dogs, and parents were "implored" to NOT come to the school.  I was not truly concerned that there was actually a bomb at the school, but it was a bit disconcerting to have no idea for the next 3 hours where my child was, or what her emotional state was.
J filled me in on details when she returned home that day.  They were told to leave their lunches in the cafeteria where they had just come to lunch and to quickly proceed to their next period classes without asking any questions.  They were then escorted from the school, and walked 10 or 11 blocks up to the local University, where they sat in the gymnasium for the next 2+ hours.  They had to sign out to use the restroom, and were allowed to get up and "walk around" for 5 minutes every half hour.  They were given chips and bottled water, and returned to school to resume their lunches close to 2:00.  No bomb was found.
The girls had a 2 hour delay from school this morning.  Unlike the one on this day last year, it was actually a scheduled one, as the teachers had an in-service.  I was supposed to work today, but my boss (also known as my sweet husband) gave me the day off to "go have fun" with my friend in honor of my birthday!  We headed North to a little consignment shop, and although I tried on several things, including a cute chicken sweater, I only came home with a book for the girls.  We had lunch, and then after taking the long way home, called it a day.
I did have to run in and get my Driver's License Photo taken.  That was pretty lame, but I almost forgot about getting it done...the form got buried on the pile of crap on my desk.
Tomorrow I have to spend a couple of hours at the Auto Repair shop again...this time for a recall on the van.
Saturday is supposed to be L's birthday party with her friends, but only 2 out of 4 have even RSVP-ed!  I hope she has a good time anyway.
Tonight my mother is cooking dinner, which is wonderful.  That fact is allowing me to sit at the computer at this time of the evening and post to my blog.  I did not manage to watch Downton Abby yet today though, it was on the short list of to-do items.  Too bad!

No comments: