Friday, December 12, 2014

Our Town

I came home from an outing this afternoon feeling warm and fuzzy because I love our little town so much!  For all of its bad points (including drilling and mining going on all around us), there is so much positive here!

The school system here is quite good. The elementary school, in fact, is the 2nd largest in the state, and the PTA works tirelessly to bring quality experiences to the kids.  I had the opportunity today to visit the local Vo-Tech school as well.  Every year the culinary students prepare a huge holiday buffet that is open to the public.  My mother and I waited in line for over an hour to sample the fare.  The highlights for me were the cheesy seafood grits, the corned beef brisket, and the bananas foster over ice cream with candied pecans and whipped cream.  It was interesting to chat with the people sitting nearby, and to see the culinary program in action, but I don't think that I'm up to standing in line for 1 and quarter hours again next year.

Afterwards, I drove toward home, but stopped in the downtown area to look in a couple of stores.  These range from antiques, to a boutique which sells $83 Miss Me jeans for kids, to local pottery.  I chatted for a few minutes with the owner of the artisan shop who took a landscaping class with me a few years ago.  Finally I stopped at the bank, where a flautist and harpist were playing in the lobby.  Parking downtown is much more pleasant with the back up camera on my new Subaru!

We just finished a pleasant family dinner, where we laughed and told stories.  J went to the city today with the 6th grade chorus to see A Musical Christmas Carol.  There are brownies in the oven, and we  are settling in to watch "It's a Wonderful Life."

A pleasant weekend to you all!

No comments: