Monday, October 6, 2014

Whirl Wind

We blew right through this weekend...I am just now sitting to take deep breaths and process it all!

I have had one sick girl home for 3 days/week for the past 2 weeks.  That's 6 days out of the last 10 school days!  Luckily it was an upper respiratory virus that they both got, causing fever, headache and sore throat, so they basically laid around and napped, read or watched movies all day (easy!)  Because of that, most of my forays out of the house lately, have been to work, to pick up homework at one or the other school, or to take the dog to the Vet (just a check up!)  Boring.

Thursday afternoon, J was feeling somewhat better, and we decided to take the 20 minute drive through the country to the Apple Orchard.  We came home with the back of the car full of apples, our eyes full of the colors of Autumn, and our lungs filled with plenty of fresh air, but unfortunately it did the poor girl in.  She was back on the couch, napping, within a half hour of our arrival home.

The following day, the workers were scheduled to arrive at 7:30 AM to pour concrete for the new chicken and rabbit house that is currently in the works.  Here is the truck that poured the concrete:

The Green Weenie...?
And here is the freshly poured pad.

There is another one just inside the barn for a future metal shop...all in good time!

While they were still working on the concrete, I got a call from the Coal people.  We had been trying to get them out here with 5 tons of coal since December last year.  We had a dusting of snow the morning they showed up back in December, and apparently they couldn't make it up our hill.  They got up this time, and now we have back-up fuel for the winter.  Hoorah!  No more cutting and stacking wood every weekend while the snow flies!!

Also good for Stocking Stuffers...
As the Coal Man was disappearing down the driveway, I received a phone call from the Auto Clinic Dude, who has had possession of JP's old truck since it left the Muffler Man's care.  After spending $$ there, I no longer needed to wear ear plugs when driving the truck, but it still barely ran.  Auto Clinician was able to get it "purring like a kitten" (his words).

So it was that I stopped in the middle of making applesauce at about 2 PM, and hitched a ride into town with my Mom to pick up the truck (and more homework!)  On our way down the driveway, we encountered someone coming up (not a common occurrence on the hill!)  This happened to be the brother of a gentleman who supplied our load of long wood that we cut and stacked all winter.  He had promised us another load back in the Spring, but unfortunately, he passed away unexpectedly in the summer.  His brother told us that he had been driving around, trying to find the place where the wood was expected - he is planning on following through with his brother's unfinished business!

I finished the 24 pints of Secret Ingredient Applesauce later that afternoon, folded 3 loads of laundry, and packed a small bag for a get-away with my girlfriends.

My friend and I left town at 7 AM Saturday morning, and arrived at State College about 3 hours later, where we met another friend who now lives about 3 hours in the other direction.  We found a lovely spot for brunch, where we had crepes and delicious mocha, then walked around the town, shopping for several hours.  We had dinner at a lovely establishment, and then retired to our hotel room for more chatting, resting and recovering.  We lingered over an early breakfast the next morning, and then took off for home, where Soccer Sunday was happening whether we liked it or not!

I arrived home just as JP and J were leaving for her game over an hour North.  I just had time to make a thermos of cocoa to warm L up after her game before she and I had to leave for her game 30 minutes East.

Since soccer, I have been doing laundry, and in general catching up on what I normally do over the weekend!  Both girls will be back to school on Monday morning (hoorah), and JP will be home to get started on the chicken/rabbit...chick-bit?  I will be here and there, continuing the catch up process, working in the garden (have I mentioned the enormous crop of potatoes?), and helping when & where I can.  It is back to soccer practice and music lessons, but I feel rejuvenated.'s a short week, SO doable after some that we've already been through!

This is maybe 1/2 of the potatoes I dug this year...
2 milk crates full are now stored in the garage for winter!

Let's go, Team Poplar Ridge!!

1 comment:

Kimberly Long Cockroft said...

Yay! So good to see you three girls together--sounds like a lovely time!