Friday, July 11, 2014

Farm Chores

Ah yes...home again and vacation is DEFINITELY over!  True, we don't have school and soccer practice and homework and music lessons, but there is work to do aplenty around here!

JP & I caught up with the mowing over the weekend. 

While we were away, the garden went berserk, and things are growing like crazy!  A pumpkin has escaped the garden and is climbing up the fence.  The green beans are producing out the wazoo.  There are dozens of green tomatoes hanging on, and the first planting of corn is almost ready to tassel.  So, I spent some time in the garden this week, picking beans and blueberries, and thinning the carrots and beets.  Just look what I brought in on Wednesday, (along with a small bowl of blueberries!)



I walked around the periphery of the ridge on Monday, looking for black raspberries.  They are tiny this year, and sparse.  I went again today, in the cool of the morning.  This time I rode the ATV half way down the hill, and hunted along the spring road and driveway.  I got about 2 cups, pretty lame for an hours worth of hunting!


Yesterday morning, after a short primer from Dad on correct weedeater use, I spent 2 hours cutting down the 4-5 foot tall weeds, bushes and small trees that have grown up around the drainage ditch over the last 2.5 years.  Dad and I hope to FINALLY install the drain pipes and close in the ditch in the next week or two, and we needed room to work!

 
My arms and low back are complaining today, but I'm pretty proud of what I accomplished!


 
I also spent time tearing down the old, dilapidated deer netting from around the orchard, and installing the better quality netting that we took down from around the garden.  At some point I plan to go back around with a second course that will take it up to 6 feet.  It's just too hot to do it today.


Pretty sad, right?  Not keeping deer out either!
It's getting better!

Today, after all this work this week, I plan to take a break and take the kids to the pool.  I'm a little annoyed that I have to pay to use a pool when there is a perfectly good (albeit non-functioning) pool in our back yard!

The pool pump installation is on the docket for this weekend.  And the work continues...

No comments: