Saturday, June 7, 2014

The Last Line of Defense

I was extremely discouraged to visit the garden yesterday and again today, only to see that the deer had been back, despite my best efforts at battening down the hatches.  Now 2/3 of the strawberries are eaten off, along with more beans.

Not only did they bite off of the plants,
they walked through this bed!
 
The girls and I decided to resurrect "Lazy Laura" this year, and put her on duty as our last line of defense against the deer and the springs in their feet.  She is wearing a bathrobe (because she is lazy) and a Tractor Supply hat (since she lives on a farm.) 

 
 
I mowed the grassy areas of the garden today, and covered the blueberry bushes with netting to protect those berries against the birds.  I meant to cover the strawberries too, but didn't get around to it. 

Hopefully there will still be some left to cover tomorrow!

No comments: