Tuesday, March 25, 2014

Peckish

It's official.  I have completely run out of ideas for after school snacks.  There are only so many days of hummus and carrots, apples with peanut butter, cinnamon toast, ants-on-a-log or peanut butter/nutella crackers that we can tolerate.  I have recently resorted (rather guiltily) to buying snacks for after school...trying to change things up and have something that lasts until we eat dinner around 6:30 - pizza bites, mozarella cheese sticks, fried mac-and-cheese.  These things are not only unhealthy, but they are also fairly expensive!

This morning, I finally went on line and googled "after school snacks."  A wide variety of ideas came up, many of them including bananas (which I have to rule out since L cannot even be in the same room with someone eating a banana.)  Some seemed rather time consuming to prepare, or featured ingredients that are not typically staples here (asparagus?)

I settled on 2 recipes that I have already prepared this morning.  I'm hoping that the Roasted Chick Peas actually last until the girls arrive home from school!

Roasted Chick Peas

 
There are literally dozens of recipes for these on the web - this is what I did:

1 - 15.5 oz can of garbanzo beans
1 1/2 T olive oil
1/8 t cumin
1/8 t garlic powder
1/8 t black pepper
1/4 t kosher salt

Drain and rinse garbanzos in a strainer, then pour onto paper towel lined baking sheet and top with another paper towel.  Gently rub until dry and skins are loosened from beans.  Pour beans onto baking sheet, drizzle with oil, and shake to coat beans.  Bake at 400* for 30-40 minutes, shaking pan every 10 min, to desired crispiness.  Combine seasonings and sprinkle over beans after removing from oven, then shake to coat.

HINT - line your baking sheet with tin foil and you won't have to wash it afterward!

There are so many possible spice combos, so be creative.  I'm thinking Italian Seasoning-salt-pepper-Parmesan might be worth a try, or sweet/spicy with cinnamon sugar, ginger and a dash of cayenne!

Granola Balls

 
I adapted this from a recipe on Martha Stewart's web site.

1/4 c honey
1/3 c crunchy peanut butter
2 T unsalted butter
1 c cereal (the recipe called for Rice Crispies, I used Puffed Rice, I think Cheerios would work equally well)
1 c rolled oats
1/3 c dried fruit (I used apples and blueberries)

Melt honey, PB and butter in medium saucepan over med-lo heat until creamy, then stir in remaining ingredients.  Drop tablespoonfuls into paper cupcake liners and refrigerate for 15 min.  Makes 24-28.  Store in a covered container in the refrigerator.

These are like healthy no-bake cookies.  I think the addition of a few coarsely chopped almonds would be nice, as would a smidge of salt.

I will keep you all posted on how these snacks go over with the kiddos.  Please share any snack time favorites from your kitchen!

No comments: