Tuesday, March 18, 2014

Countdown

The girls and I are on a full out countdown until Spring, which officially occurs in just 2 days.  To be honest, the time change just over a week ago helped immensely.  The days FEEL longer, and seeing daylight after dinner is good for all of our souls.  We have had a couple of minor setbacks in our "Welcome Spring" campaign, including 2.5 inches of snow yesterday morning, and a dusting the Monday last.  But in between we have seen sunshine, been outside without coats, and even had the windows open!

There was a period of rain last week that SMELLED like Spring.  Do you know that smell?  It is an earthy and green and hopeful smell.  It made me realize that I need to get some plants started for the garden.  (So what if the beds are not ready to plant because of my injuries last Fall - we'll have to make the best of it this Spring and forge ahead.)  I've already missed my deadline for planting Spring peas, since yesterday on St Patty's day, the beds were buried beneath snow.

I had a brief moment of panic yesterday, seeing the snow.  I was concerned that I would have to reschedule the Sears washer repairman for the 5th time, as he has been unable to get his van up our driveway the first 3 times.  He was here at 8:15 this morning (the fourth try), and has already gone.

I am contemplating another day home alone, punctuated (as usual) by Dr appointments and meetings, and trips to the auto repair shop, and wondering how I can perk myself up.  Perhaps I will make newspaper pots to plant seeds, and finally get that seed order made that has been on my "to-do" list for a few weeks.  That should be a good way to welcome Spring to Appalachia!

No comments: