Tuesday, February 18, 2014

The Big Melt

We are 2 for 2 so far this week with 2 hour delays.  The extra time in the mornings is not a bad thing, but the snow and ice on the roads and driveway is still no fun. 

It is our second day with temps above freezing, so the driveway is now the perfect mix of slush on ice.  Dad has been doing a great job of keeping it cleared this winter, and honestly, I made it up every time I tried with my AWD van.

I am feeling an enormous amount of relief, because I think this signals the beginning of the end of winter.  Oh, I know we will probably get more snow.  I just think it is unlikely that we will get huge amounts of it, or that the temperatures will stay below freezing for days on end.  It will snow, then melt, then green into Spring.  That's my hope!

Great floes of snow are beginning to slide off the metal roofs of Mom and Dad's cabin and the barn.  The pristine snow is getting mushy and greyish, and the mud is beginning to peek through. 


The chickens are venturing further from the coops lately.  I think the PTSD counseling may be helping to overcome their fear of flying predators, and they are getting coop fever.

It is a perfect time of year for soup, and I purchased a big bunch of asparagus just yesterday to whip up a batch of the best asparagus soup I've ever tasted.

 
Creamy Asparagus Soup
 
-Cook's Country Magazine
 
2 lbs asparagus
3 T unsalted butter
2 small leeks, sliced thin
3 1/2 c chicken broth
1/2 c frozen peas
2 T grated Parmesan
1/4 c heavy cream (I use half and half)
1/2 t lemon juice
 
-Cut tips from asparagus spears and chop stalks into 1/2 in pieces.  Melt 1 1/2 T butter in Dutch over over med-hi heat, add tips and cook until tender approx 2 min.  Set aside
-Add remaining butter, asparagus, leeks, 1/2 t salt and 1/8 t pepper and cook over med-lo heat until softened, approx 10 min.
-Add broth to pot and bring to a boil over med-hi heat, then reduce to med-lo and simmer until veggies are tender, about 5 min.  Stir in peas and Parm.  Puree with immersion blender, then stir in cream, lemon juice and asparagus tips.
-Serves 6.

Yum.  Enjoy it, and please refrain from relieving yourselves in the hatstands following this meal!