Sunday, February 23, 2014

Everything is Awesome!

**Just a word of warning...if you don't want this catchy little tune stuck in your head for the next 48 hours, DO NOT click on the link below.**


We took the girls out for dinner and to see The Lego Movie on Friday evening, then went through the McDonald's drive through for hot apple pies on the way home.  It was nice to do something fun for a change, and spur of the moment like that.  We found The Lego Movie surprisingly fun.

The weather this weekend has been lovely - blue sky and sunshine, with temperatures in the high 40's to 50's.  The girls were outside most of the time, playing in the woods with sticks, their pocket knives, and a slingshot.  This afternoon the temperatures have dropped, and it is grey and rainy - forecast is for snow tonight...probably just in time for a 2 hour delay in the morning.  (We haven't had one for almost a week!)

Yesterday I discovered that at least one of my hens has chicken lice, which means that most likely they all do.  I spent several hours thoroughly cleaning out the hen houses yesterday, including the nest boxes, and dusting everything (including some of the hens) liberally with diatomaceous earth.  I also installed a "dusting box" in the chicken barge - a kitty litter box filled with sand and diatomaceous earth.  (My research confirmed that lice are more of a problem in the winter when the chickens are unable to dust bathe.)  Unfortunately, I fear that I will have to find the dreaded Sevin dust, and treat all of the hens for several weeks.  I want the lice AND Sevin gone before we get peeps in the Spring!

JP and I worked on wood again yesterday.  This time, we should have about 4 weeks worth stocked up, which should get us through winter - barring another polar vortex coming through (which is also forecast for next week.)

I had the chance to hang the girls' sheets on the line to dry in the fresh air and sunshine.  I also scooped up a bucket full of dog poo that has long been buried beneath the snow drifts.  I found a bunch of other things that had also disappeared in snow drifts, including our friend's eyeglass lens (lost in sledding accident last weekend), a chainsaw wrench, my stocking cap, the cover for the air conditioner, and plenty of trash.

 
Today we had a huge ham dinner with my parents at their house, and are having a relaxing and quiet afternoon.  It is very satisfying to work hard, and then chill (and at our age, the chilling part is mandatory after a full day of manual labor!)  It has been an awesome weekend, and I am very content.  Everything is awesome!

No comments: