Friday, January 10, 2014

Togetherness

The girls and I have spent way too much together time lately, with all of the holidays and snow days and 2 hour delays.  Tonight they have completely worn me down. 

I could hardly wait to ship L off to school this morning.  Despite laying out clothes the night before in order to make the morning go more smoothly, nothing was right for her this morning.  She switched underwear 3 times, and jeans 3 or 4 times.  The socks she had picked out were "too thick," and she didn't have any other socks to wear, so I actually hand washed a pair of socks for her to wear today.  Then there was absolutely NOTHING in the house that she wanted to eat for breakfast.  After that, her shoes didn't go on right, and she didn't like the first way I fixed her hair, so she took it out.

It was a kind of a downer day at the office.  We faced insurance issues at the front desk (it is January and people have new policies and new cards, some of which don't work), our nurse has some seriously ill family members, and the surgeon is getting a bit weary from being on call 24/7 since Nov. 15th.  Top that all off with the fact that we saw some seriously sad cases today...ones that just make my heart feel heavy.

The girls rode the bus to my office after school, and started in non-stop bickering that almost had me crazy in the 45 minutes it took to get from there to J's voice lessons.  Afterward, I told L that we were going to Walmart to get more socks and jeans, because I didn't want to hear the complaining any more.  Bicker, bicker, bicker (ok, the word is starting to look a little weird now) all through Walmart and the entire drive home.

At home L "couldn't" untie her shoes by herself, so she laid on the floor and whined while the rest of us ate dinner.  After dinner both girls whined because they didn't want to check the chickens or do homework.  JP and I hid in our bedroom, but they BOTH brought their homework in there and talked over each other and needed help and silence in order to "concentrate" all at the same time. 

I'm hoping that a cuppa tea and a good night's rest will change my attitude toward my family, and also improve the way they interact.  If you hear any primal screams coming from Poplar Ridge this weekend, that would be me letting off steam.

1 comment:

Kimberly Long Cockroft said...

Oh, dear. The getting-ready for school is a daily trial.

And I hate it when you're trying to escape and they follow you. Seriously?!

Here's hoping the burg thaws soon and the kids are firmly ensconced back at school!