Tuesday, December 10, 2013

On Parades and the Holidays in General

It is cold and blustery today, with snow swirling about.  As usual, the 1-2 inches of snow forecast for the morning has resulted in less than an inch on the ground.  It appears, however, that this time Winter is here to stay...and the garden is not sufficiently winterized yet.

This back thing really slowed me down this Fall, I couldn't do too much without paying for it later, and now I will pay for it in the Spring when it is planting time as well.  I was actually feeling significantly better early last week - possibly from a break of greater than a week from PT and a week off from exercising.  I really wanted to take advantage of the warmer weather mid-week last week to work in the garden.  I did get quite a bit done, but there is a lot more to do...and now the stiffness and catching in my back when I bend and sit has returned, as has the cold weather and frozen ground.

I need to learn to stop fretting about things beyond my control.  I would like to be Supreme High Emperor over my own little world so that I COULD control everything:  the weather, bad drivers, kids that throw rocks and break windows.  Until that happens, I need to work on FLEXIBILITY - it might help my back as well!

In the meantime, Christmas is creeping ever closer.  I'm not feeling the jingle bells and holly and ho-ho-ho yet.  Somehow my efforts to be organized and prepared this year seem to have fallen short, although the girls' presents, including L's Birthday gifts are already neatly wrapped and hidden in a closet downstairs.

I completely screwed up too.  I gave permission for J to do something special with a friend on the Friday after Christmas, and only just recently realized that day is L's Birthday.  Now I'm trying to come up with something special for L to do with us that evening instead!  PHHHBBBBTHH!

I thought about skipping Christmas baking this year, since neither JP nor I need the extra calories.  I broached the subject with him this morning, and he said "But it's CHRISTMAS!"  I guess the cookie baking is still on!

Waiting for the Parade to start
Our town's little Christmas parade was held on Saturday afternoon.  The Hospital asked all the employees to walk in the parade "to show our support for the Hospital."  We didn't feel like we could go watch it after that plea, so the girls and I walked in our first (and ONLY) Christmas parade.  Of course the temperatures had plummeted from 60* on Thursday to 20* on Saturday, so we were popsicles by the time it was all over and Santa had ridden by on his tiny red Fire Truck. 

 
We had a nice snowfall Saturday night into Sunday.  The girls had a good time playing in it that afternoon.  Later on, although we all felt lethargic, and sore (JP was splitting wood on Saturday), we dug deep and found enough Christmas spirit to put up the Christmas tree and watch "Elf."

video

J has a school Christmas concert tonight, and a Voice Recital on Saturday.  Next week is the last week of school before the Holidays, so their school parties and my office one are coming up quickly.  This morning JP suggested a Holiday get-together with our friends in the Burg this weekend.  I keep telling myself, "Go low key...no need to make yourself miserable to have a Merry Christmas!  It will be FUN anyway, even if there are only 3 kinds of Christmas cookies and I didn't put up all of the decorations!  Yay Christmas!"  Maybe I'll record that and treat myself to some subliminal messaging during the night.

Right now, I'm off to learn how to make Wassail for Christmas parties.  It's going to be FUN!

No comments: