Thursday, October 3, 2013

Pumpkins & Cornstalks

Now that it is October, things have warmed up a bit...Indian Summer I suppose.  But things have started to gear up for the flurry of activities that come with the nearing winter.  J was invited to a Birthday party in 2 weeks, at which she was instructed to wear her Halloween costume.  Her Halloween costume?  Oh right,  I'm supposed to be crafting that by hand during my free and lonely days since I'm basically a Stay-at-Home-Mom.  Yes, well I ordered one on eBay recently, and hopefully it arrives (sans cooties) in time.

JP's sister phoned last night with the news that his nephew is engaged.  They are getting married next summer in Iowa.  She asked about our plans for the Holidays too, since Thanksgiving is coming up.  Thanksgiving?  OMG...we have J's Birthday (and JP's and my Mom's too) before that!

Our Girls' Night didn't really materialize the other day, but we were able to finish everything, including voice, piano practice, and showers in time to sit together to watch an episode of "Emergency."

Last night was a bit stressful too.  JP, who didn't make it home until 7:30, remarked that he thought since I was no longer home schooling, I would be less stressed.  How can I NOT be stressed, when I'm trying to get homework done, music practice done, ferry kids to and from soccer practice, make a healthy & delicious meal, and get the kids to bed on time in the space of about 4 hours...by MYSELF?  I tried to let him know that this is just a crazy time of year!

It's not like I lay around eating Bon Bons and watching TV all day, although I do give myself the opportunity to go more slowly - to read a book while I eat my lunch, and to take another 5 or 10 minutes after exercising to stretch.  Yesterday, I helped my Mom for about an hour, then spent the next 3 hours working in the garden.  I cleared out an entire TRAILER full of weeds, and brought in tomatoes, basil and jalapenos, all of which had to be taken care of.

The corn stalks are tall and dry - very Fall looking, and there is a smallish, but beautiful creamy orange pumpkin out there.  Seeing the pumpkin made me think about pumpkin roll, which is a favorite dessert for all of us.  It is way to complicated to attempt on a Thursday morning, so instead, I opened a jar of pumpkin that I canned last Fall, and baked my special Chocolate Chip Pumpkin Mini Muffins.

Chocolate Chip Pumpkin Mini Muffins
adapted from "Amish and Mennonite Kitchens"
 
1 c sugar
2 eggs
1/4 c + 2 T oil
2 T yogurt
1/2 t nutmeg
1/2 t cinnamon
1/2 t salt
1 cup pureed pumpkin
1/2 t baking soda dissolved in 1/3 c water
1/4 t baking powder
1 1/2 c flour
1/3 c mini chocolate chips
 
Beat eggs with a whisk, then whisk in sugar, oil, yogurt, nutmeg, cinnamon and salt.  Stir in remaining ingredients with a rubber spatula.  Fill greased mini muffin pans 2/3 full and bake at 350* for 15 min.  Makes about 4 dozen.
 
So there's my little bit of Fall for you.  And by the way...I'm taking the morning off to have tea and Chocolate Chip Pumpkin Mini Muffins with my girl friends. 


2 comments:

Kimberly Long Cockroft said...

Brreeaaattthhheee. Brrreeaaattthhheee. And pass around the margarita pitcher.

xoxoxoxo
tgif

Dawn A said...

Homeschooling, public school - all stressful - sometimes it's just trading one set of stresses for another. I'm working on saying "no" myself, even though I'm missing out on some fun and great stuff. We need time to breathe. Hang in there! You're not alone! :)