Tuesday, September 10, 2013

Tofood

When J was quite young, maybe 3 or 4, our good friends invited us over for a homemade Asian meal featuring tofu.  (It was delicious!)  Having never been served tofu before in her short life, J was impressed.  "I like this tofood!" she said, "May I have some more?"

I do not generally cook with tofu, and although I have enjoyed it in many dishes that others have prepared, I generally order something with chicken or seafood if given a chance.

At the beginning of summer, JP wanted our family to change our eating habits and eat more healthy food choices, including less red meat.  I bought a 25 lb bag of brown basmati rice in early June, and we have eaten through about half of it now.  The girls even admitted yesterday (as they took seconds of it) that they have grown to like it.  We eat chicken, fish, turkey, eggs, and very little beef.  JP has asked if we could try more tofu.

I'm usually game to try new things, and I generally view myself as a pretty good cook. Not being familiar with many tofu recipes, I enlisted the help of our friend, who is a vegetarian.  I copied a number of recipes from a book he loaned me that sounded tasty.  I thought it was alright when JP lightly fried it and we slurped bits of it out of the salty broth with ramen noodles or miso.  Over the winter, he made a salad featuring fried and baked chunks of tofu (think croutons) which was also pretty good. 

The 2 dishes that I made (General Tso's Tofu, and Saag with Tofu - instead of paneer,) however, not only took an extremely long time to prepare, but also made a terrible mess of the stove and several dirty pots and pans, and ultimately were not that great.  Maybe it's true that one's tried and true recipes taste all the better for the love that was added by the preparer.  Perhaps I don't love my tofu enough.

In any case, I'm still not a fan of tofu.  Someone send me some delicious and easy recipes for tofu that I can try!  I have one more tub of tofu in the fridge...

1 comment:

Kimberly Long Cockroft said...

This has got to be my favorite tofu recipe ever--super fast (and it's in a Menno cookbook, Simply in Season!)

Bring to a boil, simmer one minute and remove from heat:
1/2 c soy sauce
1/2 dry sherry/broth
1/4 c rice vinegar/white vinegar
3 T brown sugar.

Yummy already, right?

Place 2 cakes firm tofu, cut in 1-in. squares, in ovenproof pan. Pour marinade over tofu and set aside for 10 or more min. occasionally turn the tofu squares, then drain, reserving marinade.

Sprinkle 2 T peanut oil over tofu, broil for 4 min. one side; turn over, broil another 3-4 minutes, until tofu is golden brown.

While tofu broils, saute in 2 T peanut oil over high heat until kale wilts (stirring constantly): 6 c coarsely chopped kale & 3 T peeled and minced ginger root

Add 1/4 c fresh lime juice & pinch of red pepper (optional but good for the Roosta bro.). Remove from heat.

Then toss browned tofu with kale & w/as much marinade as you want. Serve on hot rice topped with toasted cashews or peanuts.

This is SO simple and SO good.
Taken from "Simply in Season," commissioned by MCC
:) xoxoxoxo