Sunday, June 9, 2013

Pee-U!

I worked out in the garden most of the afternoon.  Whew!  It was a hot one today!  Now, I'm not smelling so good, and I'm a bit itchy and sticky.  Time for a shower!

The girls and I picked strawberries again.  We got about 2 1/2 gallons.  I think we've harvested almost 9 gallons out of the garden between my Mom and I, and there are still many more to go.  Hooray!  We used to pick 25-30 lbs of strawberries every summer at the U-Pick farm about 45 minutes north of here.  I discovered 2 years ago that they charged MORE for me to pick my own strawberries, than our local grocery store charged.  That was my impetus to grow enough of my own strawberries to be DONE with those fools!

I did some weeding out there, and planted the last bed of corn, as well as replanting some of the beans.  We found a Swallowtail caterpillar on the parsley, and L moved it to her butterfly habitat so that we can watch it change.  I picked some lettuce and peas for dinner.  The Bee Man came to harvest honey while I was working, and he gave me some honeycomb.  I feel rather rich this evening!

Every time I take my camera out to photograph the new Chicken family out scratching, they run and hide.  All seven peeps are doing just fine.  (I finally tossed that last egg on Wednesday night, it was a dud.)  I think you can see most of them in this photo.


My Dad commented that these peeps are so much quieter and calmer than the 3 dozen we purchased as day old chicks last Spring.  We think that must be the influence of Mama Hen.

The rose that I dug from my friend's garden last summer bloomed this week.  The flowers were so heavy that after a rain, they hung down to the ground, so I cut them and brought them in so that we could enjoy the sweet, strong scent inside for awhile.

One of the families that moved away last summer came back to visit this weekend.  We invited the rest of the gang up to Poplar Ridge for a pot luck.  It was so lovely to have T back with us, even for a short time.  We ate until all that was left were a few crumbs in the bottom of the bowl of chips.


Sadly, the mother of one of my dear friends passed away this weekend, so our gathering was bitter-sweet as we all felt her heartbreak in our midst.  I didn't know her mother well, but she was one amazing woman, who owned a little piece of heaven up the road by a bubbling stream. 

My parents were away at another funeral today:  my great Aunt was killed in an auto accident earlier in the week, and her husband was injured and hospitalized at the same time. 

It struck me again, as I worked in the garden today, the mysteries of the cycle of life.  New plants are growing in my garden, and old ones are becoming more beautiful and productive.  There are bright green striped caterpillars that in a couple of weeks will become beautiful black and yellow butterflies.  At the same time, the end comes for some.  I feel overwhelmed at times like this with waves of both sadness and gratitude.  


2 comments:

Kimberly Long Cockroft said...

Good to see that David Austen rose blooming! Doesn't it smell wonderful? Did the lavender survive at all? :)

Country Girl said...

Sadly, no. The Lavendar is no more. The rose though...ahhhhhh!