Tuesday, June 4, 2013

Mama Hen Update #9 - The Whole Flock

Mama Hen has been out and about in the Maternity Ward with her 7 chicks today.  She has 5 black ones and 2 yellow ones.  They all seem strong, healthy and curious, and do just what chickens should do:  eat, poop, and scratch in the shavings.

One lonely egg remains in the nest.  It hasn't changed since I candled it at about 2 weeks.  There was something growing in there, but it stopped.  I don't have the heart to toss it yet, but I guess I should.

Fantine down below in the ICU is frantic for her discharge.  She did lay an egg today, so I guess she is doing fair.  I haven't been able to catch her to evaluate her wounds since she was admitted.  My opinion is that she will need a couple of weeks away from the rest of the flock.

I will try to post pictures soon of the whole family.

No comments: